The MEGAPHONO safer space policy is intended to make this event a supportive, nonthreatening environment. People who have perpetrated inter-personal violence, assault and/or harassment are not welcome at the event unless they are actively engaged in an accountability process and currently in compliance with all the terms and/or demands of that process (according to the facilitators, the survivor, and/or whomever’s been designated to monitor the agreements emerging from the process).
This policy is instated in recognition and rejection of broad systems of oppression- such as patriarchy, white supremacy, capitalism, homophobia, transphobia and colonialism. We encourage venue and event staff to speak with the Kamp Operations Safety Team if any issues arise, who will do their best to de-escalate conflicts, and call law enforcement only as a last resort.
This policy has been developed based on the resources provided by the Coalition for Safer Spaces.
DO YOU NEED SUPPORT?
If you experience harassment, abuse, assault, or any other kind of violation while attending a MEGAPHONO event, or if someone who has engaged in such behavior is adversely affecting your participation, or for any other reason you need support, please find a member of the Kamp Operations Safety Team. There are trained and experienced advocates and support people available to address these issues. They are wearing t-shirts that say “SAFETY” on the back. We strive to be survivor-centric and survivor-oriented. When a decision needs to be made to give ‘benefit of the doubt’ to a someone who has engaged in abusive behavior or support to a survivor, the preference will be to support the survivor.
If you are a survivor and would like to make special provisions for this event beforehand, contact email@example.com.
Please disseminate this information widely to limit surprises at the event itself. If there is any question as to whether or not this safer space policy prevents you from attending the event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire. Otherwise, if you are asked to leave the event in accordance with this policy, please do so immediately. If you wish to discuss the reason for the decision, an appointment can be made to do so afterward.
If you have experienced sexual violence you can..
- Call or find someone you trust to support you
- Find a member of the Kamp Operations Safety Team. There are trained and experienced advocates and support people available to address these issues. They are wearing teams that say “SAFETY” on the back
- Call a crisis line
- Ontario Assaulted Women’s Helpline………… 24 hour 1(866) 863-0511 TTY 1(866) 863-7868
- Ottawa 24 hour Information and Help…….…...24 hour (613) 745-4818
- Ottawa Distress Centre………………………...24 hour (613) 238-3311
- Ottawa Rape Crisis Centre…………………….24 hour (613) 562-2333 TTY (613) 562-3860
- Sexual Assault Support Centre………………..24 hour (613) 234-2266 TTY (613) 725-1657
- Fem'aide Crisis Line.........24 hour 1(877) 336-2433 ATS 1(866) 860-7082
- CALACS Francophone d’Ottawa ………………613-789-9117
- Francophone Sexual Assault Program………………… (613) 233-8478 TTY (613) 233-1866
- Call the police services
- Seek medical attention if needed
- YOU are the expert of your own experience!
Special thanks to Dillon Black for support in developing this policy and resource list.